357 Sig reloading

Discussion in 'Reloading Discussions' started by S&W-Shooter, Jan 7, 2016.

1. S&W-Shooter

S&W-Shooter
    Expand Collapse

I've always wanted one of these and have a bead on one.
    How much of a pain is it to reload and who has any recipes?
    of course I know finding brass will be the biggest pain but it's normal 9mm bullets correct?

2. 762

Expand Collapse

Hi S&W Shooter. I know a guy who might fit that description in CT...

I have considered and researched the 357 Sig for a while.

Normal .355" (9mm) bullets will work, not .357" as the name might suggest. Keep in mind that the Sig produces much better velocities than a 9mm, so stress on the bullet jacket is increased. Thinly plated CMJ's might not work well.

The 357Sig case is bottle-necked. That precludes tungsten carbide sizer dies, so cases have to be lubed before sizing, and cleaned again after sizing. Not what I want to do for larger volume reloading.

Then the specific application for the 357 Sig in sport shooting is still unclear to me. It is not all that hot in IPSC, the 38 Super does the job there (open division) with better mag capacity. Making major factor in standard division might be tricky, and the 40S&W has the edge there. Not sure of any other sporting applications. So where would it fit in?

I think the place for the 357Sig is in the SD and LE market, for non-reloaders and in places where the ammo is readily available.

#2 762, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    Craig likes this.
  3. S&W-Shooter

S&W-Shooter
    Expand Collapse

Hi 762

I knew most of that already. 40S&W case bottle necked down to 9mm. Can't really use 40 cases to make it since the case base isn't reinforced for the extra pressure and you'll have case failure. Hence I said it would be a pain to reload. Bottleneck cases means lube etc. Like rifle reloading. PITA for sure. I know that the best performance is to be had with 125gr bullets.
    Well sometimes you just want something even though practically it might not be the best bet.

The thing I find hard to come by is reloading recipes for our local powders. Let's say the power factor I want to achieve is a mere 125.

4. 762

Expand Collapse

Yes, pressure is an issue. I see CIP rate max pressure at 44 000 Ppsi. SAAMI is at a (slightly) more sensible 40 000 psi. And 40 S&W cases, besides being about 1mm too short, are barely capable of accomodating 36 000 psi. I have seen quite a few that had cracks through the web and into the extractor groove.

10mm Auto cases have thicker heads, but will likely still expand at those (max) pressures. The 9x25 might be a better option?

For local powders, I suspect S221 to be the most suitable. Data is scarce, but you could use Accurate Arms no 5 and Accurate Arms no 7 data as a guideline. S221 is close to AA7, or somewhere in between AA5 and AA7. As always, use a chrono, start low and work up very carefully...

S&W-Shooter likes this.