Do this. Do it now.

Discussion in 'Practice, Training and Drills' started by Tinus de Jager, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Tinus de Jager

Tinus de Jager
    Expand Collapse

Yesterday 14 of my closest shooting friends and I hung out at the Magnum range outside Pretoria to tap into the wisdom of two of the more prominent figures in South African IPSC and SADPA shooting. Despite the intro, I’m not going to make a long story out of this.

The course is called How to improve your IDPA/IPSC shooting. Both these guys are at the top of the game, with Adrian Rosslee having forgotten what I still need to learn and Albert Wessels a current Protea IPSC shooter.

The course is informative, if slightly heavy on the theory. However, it presents you with the fundamentals of competition shooting against the clock.

It changed my view on what is needed to improve my times on the range.

I think the course is aimed at beginner to intermediate shooters. However, being able to share the experience of these two guys from 08:30 until almost 18:00 is worth a lot more than the R800 charged for the course. For any shooter.

I think it should be a compulsory course for every single sport shooter. In more direct terms: Do this if you have not done so yet. It’s worth more than a new holster.

neilh likes this.
  2. neilh

neilh
    Expand Collapse

So much of like.

Let me guess, a lot more around getting into position and setting up than actual shooting?

Albert is an excellent coach, still learning heaps from him

#2 neilh, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  3. Vega5

Vega5
    Expand Collapse

Well, I can only say that Albert is the most humble guy out there. He walks the talk and has the medals and jackets to prove it.

He is an excellent coach and I keep on learning from him and will probably do so till the day I retire.

4. Tinus de Jager

Tinus de Jager
    Expand Collapse

Yes, that, and hitting the target. Zero down in my case. Hitting the A zone in yours.

5. DuaneWessels

DuaneWessels
    Expand Collapse

I so wanted to do this course but was busy with the Induction training at Golden City. After 2 training sessions with Ronel and Leroy now, I know I have a lot of work still to be done. This course seems perfect for me.

6. PeaceOfficer

PeaceOfficer
    Expand Collapse

Definitely keen for some good training this year. Really hoping to improve my scores at the weekly club matches!

Link to where we can read more about the course/book?

7. Tinus de Jager

Tinus de Jager
    Expand Collapse

PeaceOfficer, these guys are still developing the course. It's part of the Tactical Defense Institutes training schedule ... and there was one this term. I'll be sure to post the date of the next one as soon as it is available.

8. PeaceOfficer

PeaceOfficer
    Expand Collapse

Cool. Thanks, will keep an eye out for it.