Does powder expire?

Discussion in 'Reloading Discussions' started by RiaanB, Jan 11, 2016.

1. RiaanB

RiaanB
    Expand Collapse

Good day all.

I am new to the shooting sport and have no experience with reloading etc (still waiting for licenses) .

My question is, does powder expire? if it expires, what is the "shelve life" and does it expire in loaded ammunition?

Thanks, have a nice day.

2. DuaneWessels

DuaneWessels
    Expand Collapse

I think if it is stored properly it may have a long life...unfortunately powder does not last long in my household with 2 shooters.

I do however have a tin of S121 that I got when I started reloading, read all the advice of not too load with it and kept it aside. I am keeping it now for when my .45 one day arrives.

3. RiaanB

RiaanB
    Expand Collapse

Thank you Duane for the reply, it seems that there aren't any people storing up powder.

4. 762

Expand Collapse

Riaan, I have occasionally found old powder cans, some even dating to the '70's. A half full can of MS2 that I was given, worked very well. Same with some old MP2. These were the old rectangular cans with the Musgrave label.

If the powder smells funny or does not look like fresh powder, you should use it as fertilizer on your lawn. Some slight rust inside the container seems to be ok.

Remember to always start low and develop a new load. You can not assume that the old powder will perform the same as new. Be extra carefull.

5. RiaanB

RiaanB
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for the reply 762, I will keep this in mind.